"It is a Transparent World"
- Do market research before launching any social media marketing campaign.
- Conduct brand sentiment analysis as part of your pre-launch review. (Ask, "What are people saying/tweeting about our brand." Listen actively.)
- Consider the timing of your social media campaign. (#QuantasLuxury during a company labor dispute? No. #AskJPMorgan when massive numbers are still facing foreclosures and unemployment? No.)
- Be prepared for your PR spin to spin out of control. "My story" may not be your story, or the one you are hoping I will share.
- Be willing to address your failed social media marketing campaign in the forum where it failed.
- Don't back away from transparency or social media - you can't afford to in a world that places a premium on both.
- When a social media campaign spins into a viral negative..."take stock."
(DISCLOSURE: For eight years, I served as a "Public Safety Director", aka "Police Director," while serving as mayor of NJ's eighth-largest city.)