Since its slightly ungainly entrance into the world of social media, Best Buy has come a long way, establishing a Facebook account with over 1 million fans, including its Twitter account in television commercials, and empowering its employees to tweet with a measure freedom few companies allow. Best Buy is a corporation that “gets” social media and gains by giving its employees the freedom to join in the conversation.
So what does John tweet about?
John also uses the account to share information about store hiring and the company website.
John’s advice for others?
1. Have a purpose. Know what you want to get out of social media.
2. Follow interesting people and RT their information.
3. Be social. It’s not always about business, business, business….Who are you, what do you know about me, and how can we help each other.
4. Get involved in your local community. There are so many people in the Twitterverse that are in need of some sort of assistance. Help them. It will pay dividends.
5. Don’t be a bot…Believe it or not, people read what you post and it’s not hard to tell a bot from a human.